07/10/2011

Stuffed Onions - The Kathiyawadi Way ! (ભરેલી ડુંગળીનું શાક)

(ભરેલી ડુંગળીનું શાક)

I first learnt about this recipe (just like most others) after marriage!  You see I am married in a Kathiyawadi family. Now Kathiyawad was for a long time a stately province in pre-independent India. Though it does not exist on map anymore, the Kathiyawadi culture is quite predominant in Gujarat even now.
Kathiyawad is well known for it's spicy hot recipes amongst many other things.
And Stuffed Onions is a delicacy just like Stuffed Brinjals, Bengan Bharta, Sev Tomato Sabji.
I will be posting recipes of most of these sooner or later but for now, it is Stuffed Onions - The Kathiyawadi Way!




Ingredients:
Small Red Onions - 6-7
Groundnuts - More than one handful
Red Chilli Powder - Spicier the better!
Turmeric Powder - A pinch
Cummin / Caraway Seed (Dhaniya/ Jeera Powder) - Nearly 2 table spoonfuls
Sugar - to taste
Salt - to taste
Garlic Cloves - an entire small bulb
Oil - 2 spoonfuls
Coriander Leaves

Method:
In a mixer grinder, crush groundnuts, and all the spices listed above except oil and coriander. (remember you just have to crush not make a powder out of it! In any case if you grind for a longer time, the groundnuts will secrete oil making your filling soggy!)

Now once crushed add some oil to it and coriader to it and mix it. (preferably with hands)

So you are basically half done now!

Just peel the onions and cut them into 4 halves at the centre. But make sure they are in one piece.
Now stuff in the filling. In a pressure cooker put some oil. When it heats place the stuffed onions in it.  And pressure cook it for a couple of minutes!


What makes this recipe typically Kathiyawadi is the way whole onion is used here, while also excessive use of chilli powder to make it spicy!

Onion Fact: Some studies have shown onions to be rich in B-Complex Vitamins and so they work against neurotic conditions!

20 COMMENTS:

julie said...

Very delicious gravy and love the stoffed onions..new to me,thanx for sharing!

MyKitchen Flavors-BonAppetit!. said...

Hi,this is new to me.Very innovative and yummlicious Stuffed Onion Gravy.Luv to try it soon.

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks delicious lovely flavours
following your lovely site
nice to meet you

Kalyani's Platter said...

wow very interesting and delicious stuffed onion gravy.... glad to follow ur blog ......

Crumpled Chillies said...

Thank you everyone! Please do try it.. it's a very easy recipe and very very tasty too! :)

Kalpana Sareesh said...

very yummy stuffing..will sure try it..

Roshan said...

i love any preparation with onions.....this looks fabulours...i'll try it soon...

do particpate in the Sunday Special event at my blog...

Aruna Manikandan said...

First time here...
stuffed onions sounds interesting and new to me...
bookmarked it :)

U have a wonderful space

ArunaManikandan
http://ensamayalkuripugal.blogspot.com

Reva said...

Looks delicious.. very unique and new to me... Thanks for sharing this recipe ..:)
Reva

Archana said...

Looks delicious. Thanks.


I am hosting Fast Food not Fat Foot event. Do check out my event and send me your entries.

Anzz said...

This is a very new recipe for me. I have never come across stuffed onions before. But the picture looks delicious and the recipe sounds intriguing. Will try it. Its my first time here. Loved it.

Anzz said...

Following your blog on google connect. Check mine out sometime. :) Thanx

Amy said...

new recipe for me.want to try it out...first time here,nice blog....

Now Serving said...

That's a deadly delicious dish - Would LOVE to try that! always a big fan of Gujju and Marwari food :) You have an awesome blog dear :)

Now Serving said...

Following you and look forward to your tongue tickling recipes - please do follow my blog too :) thanks :) Priya

Indulge said...

Wow.. you have some real cool marwari rec's.. lovely space and love following you back.
Love Ash

LinsFood said...

Wow, you've managed the impossible - you've made onions look attractive! I love this recipe! My first time here and I'm following you on Google Connect now! Lin xx

Anonymous said...

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation?
My site has a lot of completely unique content I've either created myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any solutions to help prevent content from being stolen? I'd
genuinely appreciate it.

Here is my web-site - haarwuchs

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to
say that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
In any case I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

Here is my web-site - Haarwuchs
My web site: http://duelistnetwork.net/index.php?do=/profile-1346/info

Anonymous said...

Wow that ωas unusual. I just wrοte
аn гeally long comment but aftеr I clicκed
ѕubmіt my cοmment dіdn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm nοt writіng all that oνer agаin.

Anуhoω, juѕt wantеԁ tο say ѕuperb blоg!


mу weblog thafancam.com

Post a Comment

We at CrumpledChillies are just verifying that you are a human not a robot spamming us!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...